Sunday, January 10, 2010

Doing what I need to do...

A friend gave me a hard time about using grocery delivery this morning...  In all honesty, his comment really pissed me off.  This came from someone who is part of a traditional family - husband, wife, children who are old enough to really help and make a difference.  I don't think anyone understands how truly exhausting it is to run an entire household yourself, especially while working out of the home 40+ hours a week.  Everything is on me -- and SOLELY me.  Yes, I have a gardener who maintains my yard but he doesn't do it all.  And yes, I have a housekeeper who comes every 2 weeks and who mops the floors and cleans the bathrooms and vacuums and dusts.  But it's 2x a month -- certainly not enough to keep the house clean and organized on a daily basis.  I have an active 7 year old boy with homework every night.  I have two vehicles to maintain.  I have a dog and a cat.  And I need to fit into the equation, somewhere...  I don't feel like I have the time to spend an hour in the grocery store, going aisle by aisle -- waiting in line to check out -- driving home -- lugging it all in the house and putting it all away.  If I can utilize grocery delivery so that I can make my grocery list after hours, when Bear's in bed -- adding to the list only the items I need without making "ooh, that sounds good" purchases -- and it gets delivered to my kitchen (usually free!) -- why not?!   Next time someone makes a comment about the fact that I utilize grocery delivery, I'm going to fight back with a big, loud BITE ME!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Karen - when reading this comment from the (loosely referred to as a) gentleman with his snap-action judgment/comment of you using a grocery delivery service, I just want to applaud you for standing your ground, knowing your value of time, effort and not feeding in to someone else's mold of how you should conduct your life. You're a prime example of someone who is Walking through Life in your Own Shoes!(tm) (Excuse my shameless marketing) - yet you qualify as a prime example of what I coach/speak. Meanwhile, perhaps this man will someday realize that you value your actions as being one of high self-esteem, integrity and care for your time and energy with your child. You deserve a break everyday, as does the man who spouted off. Hopefully, one day he will be wise enough to treat himself with the dignity you so wonderfully mentor!

Mo
www.MoBailey.com